Military Applicants

American University's Kogod School of Business proudly welcomes military members and their families to our online business programs. With flexible, collaborative coursework available 24/7, our programs allow active-duty, veteran, and dependent students to earn a graduate business degree no matter where they live or are stationed.

American University participates in the Yellow Ribbon program, is ranked as a "Military Friendly School" by G.I. Jobs Magazine, and offers a number of exclusive benefits for military students. Included in these benefits is an application fee waiver, available for applicants who have served in any branch of the U.S. military on active duty within the past three years. Learn more about military education benefits at American University like the Post-9/11 GI Bill, the Montgomery GI Bill, and the Yellow Ribbon Program.

Benefits FAQs

Does American University participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program?

Yes. Learn more about eligibility for the Yellow Ribbon Program.

Where can I get information on military education benefits?

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) offers an overview of the available education and training benefits. You can compare VA education benefit programs and review current payment rates with the department’s comparison tool.

How do I apply for military education benefits?

To apply, you must complete VA Form 22-1990. If approved, you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) or award letter in the mail. The VA typically takes six to eight weeks to process the request. Please visit our Veteran Services page for more information.

What should I do once I have received my COE?

Scan your COE and send it via e-mail to Once you are admitted, you may contact AU’s Veterans Office by visiting our website.

How often do I need to submit my COE and AU’s VA Enrollment Certification Request form?

The COE only needs to be submitted at the beginning of the degree program. However, the VA Enrollment Certification Request form must be submitted each time you register for classes. Once tuition and fees, term dates, and credit hours are verified, the VA will send you a letter each semester reflecting the new funds.

What is the Monthly Housing Allowance (MHA) and how much am I eligible to receive?

The Monthly Housing Allowance/Basic Allowance for Housing is provided to non-active duty service members based on their registration status. The VA will determine the rate of pursuit (full time or part time).

Am I eligible for money to help pay for books and supplies?

Service members may be eligible for a yearly books and supplies stipend of up to but not to exceed $1,000 paid proportionately based on enrollment.

What are some common military education benefits?

    • Post-9/11 GI Bill: Provides up to 36 months of education benefits to those who have at least 90 days of active duty service after September 10, 2001.
    • Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB):
      • MGIB Active Duty: Service members enroll in their chosen program and pay $100 per month for 12 months, and they are then entitled to receive monthly benefits after completing a minimum service obligation.
      • MGIB Reservists: Service members must complete a six-year obligation in the Selected Reserve to be eligible.

If you have questions about the differences in benefits eligibility for active duty vs. non-active duty applicants, contact us at