About American University
Chartered by Congress in 1893, American University has upheld its commitment to educating service-minded students for more than a century. Today, the core values of social responsibility and a commitment to cultural and intellectual diversity continue to drive every university initiative. AU's student body is consistently ranked among the nation's most politically and socially active and represents all 50 states as well as more than 130 countries. More than 90 percent of faculty members hold the highest degree in their field and help American University develop leaders who are prepared to make a positive impact on their communities locally, nationally, and globally.
American University proudly supports military members and their families as well as students living internationally. Its commitment to diversity, service, and academic excellence has earned AU praise from a number of top organizations, including:
- U.S. News & World Report, America's Best Colleges (2015), #71 Best National University
- Princeton Review, Best Colleges (2014), #4 Most Politically Active Students
- Princeton Review, Green Rating Honor Roll (2015)
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Green Power Leadership Award (2013)
- Peace Corps (2015), #2 for medium-sized colleges with the most volunteers